This week was filled with anticipation; ELISA kits due to arrive, antibodies due to arrive, tissue models ready to be used for infections.. However, it quickly became apparent that this week was going to be a tough one!
After chaining the medium of the tissue models (all 36 of them..) on Monday, all was well. Until Wednesday. During the medium change on Wednesday, I noticed the medium was cloudy, and upon a quick look under the microscope I found the wells packed with what look like fungal spores, or yeast cells (Candida?)! Such a shame as these had been growing so well for about 3 weeks, and only now, two days before they were needed, they were infected. I collected some and took them for pathological analysis anyway to check the structure, and this is where the good bits come into play – the structure seems pretty good for a first attempt at tissues (and with cells that are known to be poor at tissue models!). H&E staining was great, and the thickness looks pretty good, just need to wait for a proper pathologist to take a look and critique!
Another high point was the arrival of the ELISA kit which now works properly! Thursday was a great day for this – the protocol finished, and showed a brilliant set of results – nearly exactly what I wanted to see – LPS influences pro-inflammatory cytokine release of monocyte cells :D. More work to be done..but watch this space!
And.. after 2 1/2 years here, I had my first fire alarm experience…and then another today! Two in two days, but nothing for the whole time I was here before. Thankfully no fire or damage phew, and all is well!
Busy week ahead with more monocyte priming/challenge work to be done, flow work, ELISA, qPCR and biofilms!! Busy busy 🙂
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.